CARE Minutes 8/16/18
A roll call of the CARE Board of Directors was conducted with the following members responding
- President HONEY MILLER
- Vice President JOYCE STRANGE
- Treasurer JAN FREDERICK
- Secretary MINDY HUTCHESON
- Employee Representative KRIS SPENCER
- Member at Large JIM TUCKER
- Member at Large GARRY CHAMBER
- Member at Large HELENE DROTHLER
- Member at Large JENNIFER WILSON
Member at Large DREW MILLER
Pascal Robin, Spencer Hogan, Ashley Foster, Katherine Noyes, Jeanne Ringe, Joyce Thomas, Willa Holtzclaw, Mackey Wilson, Barbara Sell, Siarra Pearce, Taryn Herzog,
Approval of Minutes
Minutes from 7/12/18 were accepted and approved
The financial report was submitted by Jan Frederick and accepted.
Robert Gass, our new CPA was introduced and gave us some pointers to follow:
- Receipts need to be submitted in a timely manner. These receipts need to include detail of the what/why of the purchase.
- Make sure to use our tax exempt status. If you are purchasing items for the shelter/CARE you can pick up a copy of the tax exempt certificate at the shelter. You must pay with cash or use the shelter credit card. You cannot pay with a personal credit card to receive tax exemption. These $$$ really add up. Robert also noted that the number of people with access to the tax exempt certificate should be limited.
- Time cards need to be reviewed to confirm the hours reported are actually worked. One employee should never clock in/out another employee.
- Salaried employees should still turn in a time card for record keeping purposes.
- Receipt book should have complete information filled out and in sequential order.
- A vehicle log book needs to be created for the shelter vehicle. Any time the vehicle is taken out, have the driver records the date, starting mileage, ending mileage and reason for trip. This will establish a record showing the shelter vehicle is only being used for shelter business.
- A second log needs to be created for when somebody uses their personal vehicle for business purposes. This mileage needs to be reimbursed at the IRS rate of 54.5 cents per mile.
- Fund Raising Committee (Honey Miller chair) Need to schedule a meeting to review fiscal year end.
- Dog Park Committee – This committee needs to be formed to handle the formation of our dog park. Jim Tucker volunteered to chair this committee. Jeanne Ringe, Jennifer Van Fleet, Jason Spencer, Honey Miller, Mindy Hutcheson & Kat Noyes will be listed as members. If anyone else is interested in this committee, let Mindy know.
Intakes (July) 304
Exits (July) 323
Clear the Shelter is this Saturday. We could use volunteers for morning cleanup and organization. In the afternoon we could use volunteers for customer service and traffic control.
Stray holds – The idea of allowing deposits to be placed for animals on stray hold was presented. This deposit would be refunded if the owner claims their animal. The person placing the deposit would have until 3PM the day the animal becomes available, to adopt the animal before they forfeit the deposit. We decided to begin this on a trial basis to see how it goes.
2 vehicles have been sold and proceeds have been earmarked for the new transport vehicle.
Willa’s Grand Marquis is still to be sold with proceeds also earmarked for transport vehicle
School bus donated by the county is in good shape but really not feasible for transport vehicle. There is no A/C and the max speed is @ 45 MPH. We voted to sell the bus and add that money to new transport vehicle.
Transport vehicle fund is currently at $1550
Fixin To Save Lives
We have had 2 clinics since our last meeting with 21 spayed in the 1st clinic and 22 spayed in the 2nd.
The next clinic is set for 10/18 for cats only. This may be the last clinic for the year because Snip It is booked.
A total of 396 animals have be spayed/neutered, at no cost to the pet owner, since Fixing To Save Lives began.
Sept. 1-30 Fetching Apparel Fundraiser (Online Only) use coupon code CARE
Sept. 7th (Fri) ACOB Meeting 10AM
Sept. 15th (Sat) Pine Fest – White Pine 9AM-2PM
Sept. 27th (Thurs) Remember me Thursday Candlelight Vigil – CARE facility 6:30PM-8PM
Sept. 29th (Sat) Scott Irish Festival – Dandridge 10AM
Oct. 4th (Sat) Jefferson City Health Festival – Jefferson City Health & Rehab 9AM-2PM
Oct. 6th (Sat) Old Tyme Saturday – Jefferson City 10AM-3PM Barbara Sell, Kittie Stoffer + 1 employee or BOD member
Oct. 6th (Sat) Wolfstock 2018 – Wolf Paw Sanctuary 12PM-4PM
Oct. 5th (Sat) Bark In The Park – Lakeshore Park Knoxville 5PM-7PM
Jeanne Ringe is writing a monthly column regarding general animal shelter information. Her first article, “What’s An Animal Shelter?” has been submitted. She is currently working on the second article, “Where Do Shelter Animals Come From?”. She would like this to become a Q&A and could use some questions from us to help spur things on.
Kat Noyes has accumulated articles and pictures from The Standard Banner and would like to develop a scrap book for CARE. Ashley Foster has volunteered to do this.
Garry Chambers suggested we put an insert in the package the Chamber of Commerce sends out.
Mackey Wilson announced that the bass tournament, originally slated for this fall, has been postponed until Spring. He is also working on a car cruise-in and will let us know more details as they become available.
September 20th 5:30 – Dandridge Library (This location change for both Sept & Oct) After October, we are confirmed at the Rescue Squad until next July.
Coordinator – Honey Miller
Volunteers – Francis Cooper, Keisha Fuller, Audree Stephenson
Coordinator – Jeanne Ringe
Volunteers – Katherine Noyes
Coordinator – Katherine Noyes
Volunteers – Helene Drothler, Joyce Strange, Jim Tucker, Garry Chambers
Coordinator – Keisha Fuller
Volunteers – Helene Drothler, Joyce Strange, Mindy Hutcheson
Coordinator – Kris Spencer
Volunteers – Shelley King, Barbara Sell, Audree Stephenson
Coordinator – Kris Spencer
Volunteers – Mindy & Bryan Hutcheson, Katherine Noyes, Jim Tucker, Shelley King, Bobby Fuller, Jason Spencer, Chad Robin
Kris Spencer, Pascal Robin, Mindy Hutcheson, Ashley Foster
Thank You Committee
Coordinator – Open
Volunteers – Joyce Thomas, Sheila Boggs
Coordinator – Jeanne Ringe
Dog Park Committee
Coordinator – Jim Tucker
Volunteers – Jeanne Ringe, Jason Spencer, Jennifer Van Fleet, Mindy Hutcheson, Honey Miller, Kat Noyes
Please note that this list is an ever changing document. If you are interested in any of these committees, please let me know and I’ll be sure to add you to the list. Thanks for all your support!
Mindy Hutcheson (Board Secretary)